The 3D-PSI group has a strong appearance on this year’s annual meeting of the Division of Plasma Physics (DPP) of the American Physics Society (APS) in Portland, Oregon. Contributions are ranging from seminal advances in 3D edge and divertor modelling for ITER (oral contribution Dr. H. Freichs) to posters on 3D impurity transport and plasma surface interaction at the Wendelstein 7-X stellarator, the MAST-Upgrade Spherical tokamak and the DIII-D National Fusion Facility. The neutral recycling and plasma source properties in a quasi-helical state in the MST reversed field pinch in the Wisconsin Plasma Physics Laboratory (WiPPL) was investigated for the first time to study the impact on the power balance in these helical states.
Nine posters and one contributed oral presentation are delivered by members of the 3D-PSI group of Prof. O. Schmitz. As a non-fusion highlight, two posters report on significant advances in diagnostics and helicon plasma research contributions to the AWAKE wake-field accelerator project at CERN and construction and commissioning of a new helicon mirror experiment, the MadMirricon. The applicability of Graphene as interlayer on plasma facing components was assessed systematically by a recently graduated PhD student and a comprehensive overview poster on these first-time results is presented.
The contributions are listed below with links to the actual presentations.
- Dr H. Frerichs et al., “First simulations of detached divertor plasmas with resonant magnetic perturbations – evaluated in the initial non-active phase of ITER”
- Dr. E. Hinson et al.: “Enhanced Helium Exhaust with Resonant Magnetic Perturbations at DIII-D“
- Dr. T. Barbui and MSc E. Flom et al., “The He/Ne beam diagnostic for line ratio spectroscopy in the island divertor of Wendelstein 7-X”
- Dr. F. Effenberg et al., “Radiative Power Exhaust in the Island Divertor of Wendelstein 7-X“
- MSc T. Kremeyer et al., “Helium and Hydrogen exhaust and fueling in the island divertor of Wendelstein 7-X”
- MSc V. Winters et al., “Density dependence of carbon scrape-off layer radiation in Wendelstein 7-X“
- MSc R. Norval et al., “Diagnosis and Modeling of the Energy Balance from Plasma Neutral Interaction in the MST Edge”
- MSc J. Green et al., “Development of spectroscopic diagnostics for assessing the role of neutral fueling plays in the production of helicon discharges”
- Dipl. Phys. M. Granetzny et al., “A new linear mirror helicon device – the MadMiricon“
- Dr. M. Navarro et al., “High quality graphene membranes as a coating for plasma facing components in nuclear fusion environments”
— News: 11-05-2018